Payment session concept
A "payment session" is the time spent by a buyer on the payment page.
The payment session begins as soon as the payment gateway will receive the payment form.
The delay of payment session is 10 minutes (except for certain payment methods).
- sufficient to enable each buyer to make his payment
- by the deadline: it is not reset to every action of the user
- non-modifiable: it is fixed by the payment gateway because of technical constraints.
After this delay, the payment session times out and the session data is purged.
Expiration of the payment session
It is possible that in some cases, the payment session will expire while the buyer has not completed payment.
Most frequent cases:
- Once redirected to the payment page for example, the buyer realizes that it is time to go to lunch.
An hour later, he decides to continue his payment and clicks on the logo corresponding to his payment method.
His payment session has already expired, the payment gateway displays an error message indicating that it was disconnected due to too long inactivity.
The buyer then has the opportunity to click a button to return to the merchant website.The return to the shop is done via the URL specified by the merchant:
- in the vads_url_return field transmitted in the payment form
- in the "Return URL to the merchant website" field in his Expert Back Office, no vads_url_return field is transmitted in his payment form.
- Once redirected to the payment page, the buyer closes his browser (by mistake or because he no longer wants to make the payment).
Notification in case of session expiration
It's possible to notify the merchant website in case of expiration of the payment session.
To do this, the merchant must set up and activate the notification on cancellation rule (see chapter Setting up notifications).